Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

McCalls 5625 & 5477

I did not realize a month had gone by since I last blogged. But I'm back again. Here are a few things I've been sewing.
This top was for the Over The Top sew-along from April 1st thru 15th. I finished it after the 15th and have worn it a lot! It was the second black & white print I made during that time. It is McCalls 5625 OOP, View A. I'm not sure what this fabric is called, but it's lightweight and sheer so I wear a cami underneath. It has been perfect for the sporadic warm weather days we've had so far. The fabric came from the Chicago Textile Outlet. The top has front & back gathers, three-quarter length bubble sleeves, with pleats and gathers and a self-belt.







































The next project is McCalls 5477 for the jacket, and Butterick 5147 again for the skirt. This jacket pattern is OOP. Each time the season changes, I always rotate this because I just know I'm going to make it. Finally I did. The fabric came from Joann's clearance section. It looks like leather, but isn't. It is a poly-cotton jacquard that I believe is home-dec. It is not heavy at all. Perfect for garment sewing. Wore it yesterday since it was very chilly.


The jacket is semi fitted, lined, hip length and has a notched collar, princess seams, and center back vent. The sleeves are seven-eighths length with a slightly flared lower section. The skirt is a-lined with front & back darts and center back zipper. It is also lined.


I'm not sure that I'd make the jacket again. Perhaps with the shawl collar and long sleeves. The skirt definitely since it seems to be my 'go to' pattern lately.


Several sewing projects coming up but currently I am working on Simplicity 2229 and hope to have photos to show of the completed suit in a day or two.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the print on the top. And that jacket is amazing! Lovely shape :)
Ashley x

Sheila said...

Lovely garments and love anything b5147 related...you look great.

Ruta said...

Yes! You definitely look great!
Very nice garments! (Incl. hair and shoes - mention in case anybody doesn`t notice ...)

narcissaqtpie said...

The leather-look set is NICE. I have to look for that fabric. I have that Simplicity pattern & I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Jackie said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments. I really appreciate them.

GET IT GIRL said...

You look great, Mom! Love you:)

Virginia's Daughter said...

Love that top and that suit is HOT! You look fabulous!

Aminat said...

Wow, love your garments, that print is so beautiful...You look fab

Andrea said...

Your top is really pretty. Your suit is beautiful and you look stunning in it. You did a wonderful job.

Leslie V said...

Thanks Jackie for commenting on my blog, it looks like you are my only blogger that writes consistently!!! I appreciate it very much. You are so talented. I love your pleather fabric jacket and skirt. That's sharp!!! The black and white blouse is very very nice, does the fabric have strips of fabric sewn on top?

Brenda said...

Beautiful garments. The fabric is just perfect for the pieces and you look great. Thanks for sharing.
I too agree, your total look is great!

Rose said...

Wow! You look great! Great job of combining pattern and fabric. I love everything.

Cennetta said...

It's good to see you back. And you're fiercely sewing up some jazzy outfits.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That suit is a knockout! I can't believe it's a poly-cotton, it really does look like leather. You are working it!!!

Alethia said...

OMG, Jackie, you are work'm that suit. I love it. And, you're right, it looks like leather....

Cennetta said...

Wow! You look great in this super stylish outfit. The home dec departments have lots of potential for garment making. I always make a point to check it out when I'm at JoAnn's and Hancock's.