Thanks for all the compliments on my dress last week. Did you hearthe summer dress challenge has been extended to June 19th. Yay!
So here's one of the tops I finished up last week. Butterick 5496 View A without the elastic in the waist. I wanted a loose fit in the waist and decided to leave that out. In the other top (not shown) I inserted the elastic but I'm thinking about taking it out.
The fabric is lightweight (not sure of the exact name) but I picked this up in Nashville last year when we were on our road trip. It was easy to handle, not sliding all over the place. The neckline is finished with bias tape and topstitched. The sleeves have slits (under) and there are side slits and topstitched hems. This was an easy sew project(s) which was why I was able to sew up two this week.
This is the next project I'll be sewing for the summer dress challenge.
Sunday, June 5, 2011
McCalls 6073 This was a smooth process. I finished this up yesterday afternoon and wore to church today. I chose View B, the mid-calf length. My fabric is a stretch jersey from Fabric.com. The dress is a pullover with bodice & skirt gathers into front midriff with elasticized raised waist and topstitched hems.
The only notions needed are thread and elastic. There is elastic in the shoulder seam also. Wearing this was comfortable and it is everything I want in a summer dress. Cool, flowy and easy for a hot day. I most likely will make this one again. Now I'm going to figure out another dress for the challenge :)