Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sew Much Talent-UFO Challenge

Sew Much Talent has a challenge that ends tomorrow.  I managed to get one thing done so far.  Out of Print V2887 that features a jacket and skirt.  I made the skirt which is straight, lined and below mid-knee with princess seams. 
The waist is faced with ribbon, and there's a back zipper and slit.

The fabric is a home dec suede from Joann's that was suitable for
 apparel.  I don't have enough to make the jacket out of this but plan to in the future in another fabric and the skirt.  Since it's a suede fabric, I consider this a sort of beginning to my fall sewing.  I have a knit fabric that I planned to use with this so I may start that in a few weeks.  I still have lots of summer sewing I want to complete.  The next item from the UFO list is a blouse that is certainly summertime.  I hope to complete it tonight for the deadline of the SMT challenge.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

My New Patterns!

I am happy to report that today I was able to find a B5638 along with a few others on my list. Joann's 99 cents sale on Butterick patterns ends Saturday.

When I opened the drawer to find B5177, lo & behold there was OOP B5180 staring right up at me. In my last post, the website says it's an OOP so maybe that was a recent update. But for right now I have enough new patterns to rotate and choose fabric etc. (and change my mind). LOL

Monday, July 18, 2011

B5180 Done

Pattern Description: This is OOP Fast & Easy B5180
A-lined, above mid-knee with neckline, armhole & sleeve variations, back zipper. View C is lined.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope one you were done sewing with it? My version has the sleeves from View B and the dress is View C.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, but I did not follow them. Which could be the reason I had the back facing piece left, lol! I think I may have cut it out by mistake because I certainly did not use it since I lined the dress.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I've always look at this pattern and put it back every spring/summer and this time decided to make it.
Fabric used? I am not sure the exact name of this fabric. I have several pieces in various colors from Joann's clearance section. I have made pants, a suit, and now a dress. I think it's a rayon.
Pattern alterations or design changes you made: The only thing was I used View B sleeves but made the dress of View C.
Would you sew it again? Perhaps but the other view in a different fabric. Conclusion: I like this dress. I look forward to wearing it when the temperatures come out of the 90s.
Below are a few recent patterns I've purchased. Butterick is on sale this week at Joann's. I hope they have 5638 in stock. It seems to be a popular style.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011


S4697 I believe is an OOP. I used the pattern before when I made the top & skirt. This time I came across the pattern and decided to make the dress out of a knit fabric that's been moved around in my stash for the past couple of years. This was super easy to sew. There is self fabric binding for the neckline and also the armholes. Gathered middle seam in the bust.
This past Saturday was my granddaughter's 5th birthday. My oldest daughter (in the blue print and who is her mother) said we could wear animal print which somehow was the color scheme. Anyway, here we are in various prints! I think she made her dress the night before. Next day, without any plans at all to dress in the same fabric, we both wore to church what we'd made last year. I think her dress is a Butterick pattern and my top is McCalls. Great minds think alike, LOL!

Coming up on my sewing agenda is to complete a few UFOs since I joined the challenge on Sew Much Talent to get as many done as possible by July 31st. I don't have a lot but enough to keep busy until then.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I've been reading all the other blogs and not posting here. I have been sewing but some things were not going well in my sewing world. This was to be my second dress for the Stay Cool-Stitch a Dress Challenge. Cut it out, even bought lining to match, sewing went well and it's almost done. BOOM!

Cut a hole in the back of the dress with the serger! Not going to bore you with how it exactly happened because I've had more than one disaster lately.

Of course, I left the dress incomplete as I did not do anything more to it. I thought about saving it for something to just wear around the house after I close up the cut (and in case somebody stops by). So I'll look presentable at least.

For something easy and quick, I made up this skirt using B5147. I figured I could handle this without having another mishap. It is lined and has a slit in the back and a back center zipper. The fabric was from a piece leftover from a dress I made last year.

It came out great and all faith is restored, LOL!

A couple other projects are cut out and one already in the process and hope to share those soon.

Have a great sewing day!