Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

My Coat That's Actually McCall's 5718

I finally finished McCall's 5718. In the previous posts, I referred to this as a Butterick pattern when it clearly says M5718. I don't know what I was thinking. I just had to laugh out loud when I looked at my blog. But here is my review of this coat. Pattern Description: Loose-fitting lined jacket or coat has yoke, stand or turned down collar, full-length raglan like sleeves, side front seams w/pockets, buttons & buttonhole closures. The sleeves for View C have cuffs and the pattern calls for multiple rows of topstitching which I did not do. (still may do it though) Pattern Sizing: 18-24 I made the 18
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Originally, I was going to make the jacket but I decided to do the coat version. I like the collar and the sleeves.
Fabric Used: I'm not sure what it's called. But I remember buying it on one of our shopping excursions in Atlanta a few years ago.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I might make the jacket version of this. I have so many patterns I want to try out. Conclusion: I look forward to wearing this coat for our upcoming Spring weather. Tomorrow's forecast is 61 so I may not need to wear it. LOL!!
I have to say that I haven't purchased any new fabric so far this year, except for linings, (which doesn't count in my book). I am sewing from fabrics in my collection. This was one of my goals to not buy any until June. I've been tempted, of course. My daughter frequently sends swatch pictures from the various fabric sites along with photos from Nordstroms or Bloomingdales ,of what the fabric could be made into. So for now, I'm content to not buy anything. She has gifted fabrics to me (the latest just last week)! Now if i can just make good on No. 5 of the goal list.
LOL


7 comments:

gwensews said...

That is a gorgeous coat. Love the color. Perfect for spring. I have that pattern and now I know I need to make it. So jealous!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

What a gorgeous coat! You must show us a photo of you wearing it. I liked your list of sewing goals so much that I've incorporated it with my own. The one change is the purchasing of fabrics. It's hard for me to pass up good deals on African fabrics when I see them. But I will only purchase with a specific item in mind. This year it's about stash reduction for me.
Angela

Sheila said...

Beautiful coat and the perfect color.

Tanya said...

Beautiful coat, I have that pattern you have inspired me.

Kat said...

Jackie, that's a beauty! It definitely has a retro vibe to it too.

Julia said...

What a wonderful coat!! I love the yoke and the color!

Unknown said...

I just bought a bunch of patterns through Ebay and this one was included in the bunch. I googled the pattern and came up with blog - my lucky day: I discovered I bought a great pattern and I found another great sewing blog!